Pinell de Brai
It is located on the border with the Baix Ebre, the district of Pinell de Brai is mainly mountanois, formed by the mountain ranges of Cavalls and Pàndols, where the highest point is Punta Alta, of 705 m altitude. The river Canaletes, that has its source at Els Ports, crosses the south of the district, before ending in the’ Ebre. The houses in the historic centre are on a clifftop over 100 -metre high slender belltower, close to cliff, therefore they are known as Hanging Houses. The village streets are steep and irregular, evidence of a Mediaeval past.
Walking around the town
The most representative building of El Pinell is the Cooperative Wine Cellar, also known as the Wine Cathedral, work of the architect Cèsar Martinell Brunet, a disciple of Gaudí. It is 19th-century style. On the façade there is a frieze, by the painter Xavier Nogués. Inside, highlights include the unique elliptical·arches.
The houses in the old centre are on a cliff, so they are known as the Hanging Houses.
We can also visit the church of Sant Llorenç, built 1770. Next to the church is the Veus del Front Interpretation Centre, about the sites of the Battle of the Ebre..
- Sant Antoni. It is celebrated on the Saturday closest to 17 th January.
- Procession to the hermitage of Sant Maria Magdalena on the second Saturday after Easter..
- Pinellart. Crafts Fair. It is celebrated between the end of May and the beginning of June..
- “Quintos” festival. The first Saturday in July.
- Sant Cristòfol. It is celebrated on the second weekend in July..
- Local festival of Sant Llorenç. Start the weekend closest to 10 th August.
Town council Web: http://www.pinelldebrai.altanet.org
In Terra Alta you can find a big variety of places, accommodation, restaurants, tourist service companies, and more things to enjoy this sublime place.