La Fatarella offers natural surroundings of unique and unequalable beauty, as it is a mountainous area with lots of ravines and farmed land, which blesses the landscape with a great diversity of colours. The municipal area has dry stone buildings, highlights are the limestone cabins that are typical in this area, and that are used to shelter from bad weather, store tools and dry fruit..
Walking around the town
You can enjoy narrow and old streets, and the buildings with stone arches. One medieval architectural element, is the porches, that join the streets and support the upper buildings.
The Sant Andreu Parochial Church was built in the 17th century, its interior is from the Renaissance period with late Gothic elements around it. The main facade was built in the 18th century, and it is baroque style. It has, besides, a neoclassical bell. At the top of the village is the Mare de Déu de la Misericòrdia chapel, it is strategically located on a hilltop from which the whole region can be seen.
At the bottom of the town is the Sant Joan fountain, a popular construction dating from the 16th-17th centuries, which in olden days supplied the village with water.
- Sant Blai Festivals (Local Winter Festival): first weekend in February. Auction firewood for Majorals. Traditional dance “Jota de la Fatarella” with the “tortada” (traditional cake) of Sant Blai. “Quintos” festival and donkey run.. Day of Santa Àgueda.
- Local Summer Festival: first weekend in August. Several popular events: rock night, “jota de la Fatarella” dance, donkey run, etc..
- Sant Francisco Procession: first Saturday after Easter. Over 300 years of tradition. Creation of the typical “bordons” (decorated wooden sticks).
- Mare de Déu de la Misericòrdia Festival: Local celebration which is celebrated 8 th September. dance "Jota de la Fatarella", sing of the "Goigs de la Mare de Déu".
- Oil Festival: the weekend of 6-8th December. Fully consolidated celebration and with the participation of all local companies and organizations. Tasting of new oil and traditional breakfast with “clotxa” (typical bread). Handcrafted and traditional products showing.
Town council Web: http://www.lafatarella.cat
In Terra Alta you can find a big variety of places, accommodation, restaurants, tourist service companies, and more things to enjoy this sublime place.