Horta de Sant Joan
Horta de Sant Joan is known in Catalonia and beyond for the famous phrase by Picasso “Everything I know, I learnt in Horta”. Horta is the town of harmony, where the mediaeval historic centre and the magnificent landscape that surrounds its merge together as if time has come to a standstill
. The southern part of the municipal area is very rugged, as it is formed by the northern point of the Els Ports of Tortosa-Beseit, where the rugged landscape offers beautiful places
Walking around the town
Walking around the historic centre of Horta, declared an Historic-Artistic Site, we find an evidently mediaeval town centre, with winding streets, stone houses and evocative porches. The Church square is a spectacular architectural site. On top of’ some porches rises’ the 16th century Renaissance Town Hall. The Square also houses the Parochial Church of Sant Joan Baptista, of a Gothic and Renaissance style. A visit to the head of the Ports Ecomuseum behind the Plaça Major (Main Square) is recommended. Unique buildings can be admired in the old town centre, such as the “Casa de la Comanda”, “Casa Pessetes”, etc. The Picasso Centre is located in the Old Hospital building, which has reproductions of the works the artist painted during his two stays in the village: in 1898-99 th and 1909.
- Sant Antoni Auction ,weekend closest to 17 th January.
- Sant Salvador is celebrated on 18 March with a traditional paella meal in the convent of Mare de Déu dels Àngels
, well-known as Sant Salvador.
- Procession to the Mare de Déu dels Àngels Convent (Sant Salvador). It is celebrated on the first weekend after the 21 th April, in commemoration of the miracle of Sant Salvador.
- "Quintos" festival. It is celebrated a weekend in the first fifteen days of August.
- Local festivals. They are celebrated from 8 th to 11th September
- La Costa festival. It is celebrated on Saturday and Sunday after the 24 th September, in honor of la Mare de Déu de la Mercè. Popular “sardinada” (sardine eating) in la Costa streets.
- Sweet Autumn. Craft and handcrafted products fair
. This is celebrated on the first weekend in October.
Town council Web: http://www.hortadesantjoan.cat