The Algars river delimits the municipal boundary of Batea with the lands of Aragon. Around the town they have found remains of various cultures and towns, for example uninhabited towns like Pinyeres and Algars. Batea has an elegant historic center that preserves porches, sheds and medieval buildings. The wine chapter deserves special attention, since most of its lands are vineyards, and the town has several registered wineries in DO Terra Alta.
Walking around the town
Batea has an old town that has a magnificent medieval feature, with porches and arches where it is still possible to imagine the wall that surrounded it in the past. The Major street stands out, with porticoes and arches of the 14 th century . In this street there is the Hospitals de Sang Interpretation Center, related to the sites of the Battle of the Ebro.
Sant Miquel church is important, it is an interesting Neoclassical Baroque building , built in the 18th century. Among the remains of the walls you can see the gates, such as the Portal de l'Àngel, Cal Llarg and la Portalada de Sant Roc, where there is the chapel of la Mare de Déu del Portal, of Baroque style, built in the 17th century. It is noteworthy the porches in Sant Miquel street, Center and Cavallers streets, Martí Tower and Castellà Tower . On top of a hill, on the outskirts, there is a calvary with six Baroque chapels of the 17th and 18th centuries.
- Festivals from 6 th to 8 th January.
- The weekend closest to 15 th May the town celebrates Sant Isidre celebration.
- The first weekend of July it is celebrated a medieval market.
- Saturday closest to 10 th July is celebrated Sant Cristòfol, with the blessing of vehicles and dance night.
- The penultimate Sunday of August major festivities are celebrated, dedicated to Sant Miquel. As part of the festival is celebrated "The typical local products show" .
Town council Web: http://www.batea.altanet.org
In Terra Alta you can find a big variety of places, accommodation, restaurants, tourist service companies, and more things to enjoy this sublime place.